Sunday, May 15, 2011

Waihou Dressage - 15.05.2011 (First placings)



Having had a dreadful week riding Sampson, I almost chickened out of taking him.

Basically, as I was still feeling vulnerable, I was allowing him to bully me to some extent, which made me more tentative, enabling him to play around yet more.

My WONDERFUL instructor Wendy, came with us, and the difference having her there was amazing. She worked me through some disengaging first, then flexing him which softened him through the neck and shoulder, taking his power away, and putting me back in the driver's seat.

She then warmed me up for his first test, and we only had a couple of baby skedaddles, which I was onto pretty quick. The key was also I think being told to push myself (and him) out of our comfort zones - dare him a little.....basically start RIDING him!

Unfortunately I think we were about the only ones to get rain for our test, but all in all it wasnt too bad. I started to feel more confident as I went along, which then meant I rode less tentatively, and he went better.

Actually better than I had thought, for 69.58% and 4th place!!

Some good comments and 4 x 8's.
Only really lost marks on one movement getting a 5 for an early transition to walk.

7 for Paces, Impulsion, Submission and Rider.


Second Test
Again Wendy helped me warm up (and again I struck the rain).

He was far more relaxed to start, and I really felt like I was starting to ride him a little, and asking for more forward etc.

I was really pleased with how he went, and apart from a couple of parts where he slipped, and on one fell back to trot as a result, I felt he had done a reasonable test.

Yay: scored just over 68% for 3rd (less than 1% off 2nd and First was on 71%)

So I have had my first dressage placings on Sammie.

All thanks to Wendy!!

No comments: