Thursday, February 24, 2011

Andrew Scott SJ clinic 23/24 Feb 2011

First Day

Sampson a little keen perhaps, but was advised that he could still have more go, although he was definitely getting off the ground quicker and getting snappier in front.

Thrilled with how he went, and how I felt about it. NO anxiety or nerves AT ALL!! And he really felt great.

Did some grids, interspersed with single jumps, and essentially the main area I was cocking up repeatedly, is on the darn turns. Every jump off a turn, I would shut him down on the turn, rather than riding the corner.

That led to me being asked to do what I would term the circle of death. Four jumps on a circle....basically meaning you have to be thinking about turning as you are jumping.

However, all in all a great lesson.
Sampson also thoroughly enjoying his jumping, and definitely now taking me to the jumps rather than being a bit lackadaisical about it all.

THURSDAY

Really looking forward to today's lesson.

OK....some advice....DO NOT buy a new helmet the day before a lesson, with the intention that your previously 'good' helmet could become the 'everyday' helmet.

Second tip.....DO NOT , upon donning an ancient T shirt, comment to yourself about how you have had the shirt over thirty years, remember buying it, and being impressed how it has worn, considering it has no holes or anything.

Tip three.... DO NOT wonder to yourself if you should arrange an x-ray on your still sore shoulder after a fall several months ago, just to check nothing is going on in there.

....
Started warm up, and Sampson felt great....if a little "I know it all"....which led to us on approach to a relatively high X oxer, taking a flyer (there was easily another stride)...unfortunately it was that one time out of a hundred, where it turns to custard, and rather than being an uncomfortable jump, it was a somewhat painful one.

He caught the top rail between his legs which then brought him down on landing, catapaulted me headfirst into the arena, and apparently also led to him rolling over my hip.

Ooops

Helmet split eyebrow (which after about 6 hours at A & E required 6 stitches), and extremely sore neck and shoulder. (Shoulder had almost healed after my last fall off the big guy). A little uncomfortable and nerve wracking however, to have a neck collar in case of spinal injury....I'm afraid I had my fingers tightly crossed awaiting the outcome, and then onto that shoulder x-ray that I had considered getting the week before. Doctors and nurses seemed surprised to find they were clear, given the weird knobs and sticky outy bits of my shoulder - they had thought a dislocation at least.
I was just thankful.

So, having had my xray, my thirty year old t shirt cut off, and getting a new helmet....I have now had to fork out for a second helmet in less than a week.

Poor pony also has skin off his knees, shoulder and above his eye. :(

Hopefully, he is none the worse for wear, and the wee tip over wont affect his confidence (except perhaps to make him a little more careful)....also hoping my own confidence isnt too badly affected.

Plan is to jump both horses some time this week, and then decide what to do about Puhinui - even if I just ride one, and perhaps get another rider on Sampson?

No comments: